Friday, March 16, 2007

My Record

For those of you who weren't aware, I served as AUS President from 2006-2007, and am looking to serve a consecutive term for the 2007-2008 school year. I thought it might be useful to outline what I've been doing within the AUS for the past year.

One of my major goals as AUS President this year was to make sure that the AUS put on a solid Arts Week, and I think that we achieved this. Arts Week 2007 featured a number of highlights- Gladiator competition against other Faculties, our Performing Arts Showcase in the Freddy Wood Theatre, sweet Merchandise, a Career Fair in the SUB Concourse, a Storming of the P.I.T., a crazy purple party van, excellent sponsorship, a tasty BBQ and crepe sale in SUB South Plaza, and of course a successful Mardi Gras to wrap everything up. As President, I used my knowledge of the past 2 Arts Weeks to direct the Arts Week Committee to run successful events. Of course, it helped that the Committee was composed of competent and enthusiastic Councillors. While this year's Arts Week was great, we realize that there is always room for improvement, and a Post-Mortem was held to reflect on ways to make next year's Arts Week even better.

Those who have ever attended an AUS Council meeting know how time-consuming Dean's Grant presentations can be, especially with the associated deliberation. As a result, a number of Councillors (including myself) decided that we should institute some sort of Committee that could consider all applications with due diligence and that could ensure that all applicants were treated fairly and equitably. I think that the new Dean's Grant process has so far achieved this due diligence and fairness thus far. It has also significantly streamlined the process, meaning that we have more time in meetings to consider other important AUS business.

I think that my leadership style this year has fostered a friendly and comfortable environment within the AUS. In the past, the AUS has suffered from 'cliques', and I have made efforts to avoid this through existing team-building opportunities (especially our Whistler Retreat). I sincerely hope that all Councillors have felt included and valued as a result.

Additionally, I planned the first-ever "Meet the Dean" BBQ this year, an event designed to both promote the AUS for its September By-Elections and to showcase the different departments and courses available to first-year Arts students (almost a follow-up to Imagine Day). Moreover, I have expanded the AUS' promotional efforts onto Facebook, inviting over 2000+ Arts students to the Arts UBC Facebook group, in order to become more accessible to all students and to let students know about our events through word of mouth. Lastly, I am currently in the midst of purchasing more furniture for the Meekison Arts Students Space (Buchanan D-140) so that more Arts students are able to study in the space between classes.

Here is a brief list of the Committees I have sat on for the past year:
AUS Committees
-Dean's Grant
-Renovations
-Promotions
-Code Review
Faculty of Arts Committees
-Careers in Arts
-Beyond 2nd Year
-Arts Career Expo
-Martha Piper Scholarship
AMS Committees
-Budget
-Compensation Review
-Voter-Funded Media
-SASC Fund
-Aquatic Centre Manager Committee
-Student Social Space Committee

I hope to continue to hold a spot on the Student Social Space Committee to fight for more Arts-specific social and study spaces- we have 11,000 spaces and everyone knows how long the line-ups are at the Library. Moreover, the AUS ought to lobby for more public-access computers on campus- not everyone owns a laptop!

No comments: